Translate

Search This Blog

Sunday, August 16, 2009

Dusty Crosses the Rainbow Bridge


This morning, I discovered the preemie was cold and not very responsive. I tucked him under my shirt until I could set up the heating pad in a small box.
He seemed to be responding and I gave him a few drops of pedialyte. I gently rubbed him to keep his blood circulating. After two hours I thought he might be out of the woods, but he passed away at 11:10. I still tried CPR for 30 minutes just in case, but he was gone and my heart is totally broken. That little fella had so much personality, but was too bold for his own good. I could not keep him confined, no matter what I did. He would eventually escape and literally run across the room to me and climb upon my shoe and hold onto my pants leg, so I could take him for a ride. I could walk anywhere and he would hold on until he grew weary; then he would let go and climb down. I have never known an animal so tiny with so much heart and curiosity. I really believed that he would pull through, but he simply went to sleep and no matter what I did I could not revive him. Birdette is with him right now and I am going to have to take him from her. I hope she understands that he is gone. She has been a wonderful mother and kept him alive when I felt there was no hope whatsoever. I allowed her to kiss him before he passed away, so she would know. I have allowed her some time with him now that he has passed. This room is so very empty and silent now that Dusty has gone.

No comments: